This is a super healthy desert recipe for your holiday season! Low in Sugar and full of some delicious grounding spices!
2 cups (240g) whole wheat or gluten-free flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp (11g) ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp salt1 tbsp (14g) unsalted butter or coconut oil
2 large egg whites
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup (180g) plain natural greek yogurt
¼ cup (60mL) molasses
¼ cup (60mL) pure maple syrup
1 can of organic coconut cream (for the icing)
1 cup of oats (to sprinkle)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and lightly coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the flour and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, and vanilla extract, then stir in the yogurt, mixing until no large lumps remain.
4. Mix both bowls together and stir in the molasses and maple syrup.
5.Spread the mix into the prepared pan and bake at 160 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the top feels firm to the touch. In the last 10 minutes of baking, add 1 cup of oats to a stainless steal pot or pan to golden.
6. Then, cool the loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
7. To prepare the icing, refrigerate the coconut cream the night before you bake the bread and then whip together with a whisker or a wooden spoon for 5-
10 minutes. When the Gingerbread is cool, you can add the icing.
8. Sprinkle golden oats over the top of the icing to serve.